The annual TVB awards presentation in Malaysia is back! The TVB Star Awards Malaysia 2015 will be held from 8.00pm to 10.00pm on 28th November 2015 (Saturday) at Arena of Stars, Genting Highlands. Time flies…I remembered clearly a year ago that I do won free tickets to watch the 2014’s awards show at Genting also after voting in every day within the voting period. However, since I couldn’t attend it, I have given the tickets to someone else. Well, I managed to still catch the show live on Astro and Andy Lau is one of the special guest presenter of the night.
This awards is back but there is no more an official website where you can vote. The only way you can vote now is by downloading a mobile application named ‘TVB Star Awards Malaysia 2015’. Unfortunately, the app is still not available yet for IOS users, and hence I still couldn’t get to vote for my favourites of the year. The voting period is from 16 October till 21 November 2015. So, yup…voting started! Here’s below is the nomination list for this year’s awards. Well, I think I’m the first one posting up the nomination list in English on the web! That’s called efficiency!
Here you go…the nomination list alongside with my predictions as usual every year. The ‘*’ that comes after the nominee indicate that it is my personal top 2/3/5 picks from its particular category.
My Favourite TVB Host in Variety Program
- Johnson Lee & Pal (Sze U Tonight)
- Liza Wang, Adam Cheng & Jerry (Sunday Songbird)
- Kitty Yuen, King Kong (Neighborhood Gourmet 3)
- Maria Cordero, Luk (Good Cheap Eats Series 3)
- Gigi Wong (Eating Well With Madam Wong)
Opinion: Didn’t really watch any of the programs above and so couldn’t comment further. But looking from popularity and the engagement to voters (mostly younger demographics), Sze U Tonight has a bigger chance. Johnson Lee is also quite funny and entertaining. This applies to the category below too.
Expected to win: Johnson Lee & Pal (Sze U Tonight)
My Favourite TVB Variety Program
- Sze U Tonight
- Sunday Songbird
- Helen To-kyo!
- Chef Minor (Series 2)
- Four Amigos Bon Voyage
Expected to win: Sze U Tonight.
My Favourite TVB Informative Program
- Am I Healthy?
- Wellness On The Go 3
- All Things Girl – Malaysia Chapter
- Not Far But Away
- Big Big World 2
Opinion: Didn’t watch any of the above too. So no prediction for this one.
My Favourite TVB Drama Theme Song
- You & Me by Stephanie Ho (Raising The Bar)
- The Beautiful Time by Jinny Ng (Young Charioteers)*
- Truth by Alfred Hui & Hubert Wu (Eye In The Sky)
- Sailing by Fred Cheng (Captain Of Destiny)*
- Years Regret by Alfred Hui (Lord Of Shanghai)
Opinion: Out of these five, I’m more attracted to the theme song for ‘Young Charioteers’. Jinny Ng sing lovely and somehow addicting theme songs for TVB series in recent years. She had just won this one last year for ‘Line Walker’. Dark horse would be ‘Sailing’ for ‘Captain Of Destiny’. Another catchy tune. Why the song by Liza Wang in ‘Limelight Years’ not nominated? That’s a good and a meaningful song.
Expected to win: Sailing by Fred Cheng (Captain Of Destiny).
My personal choice: The Beautiful Time by Jinny Ng (Young Charioteers).
My Favourite TVB On-Screen Couple
- Edwin Siu & Priscilla Wong (Madam Cutie On Duty)*
- Louis Cheung & Grace Chan (Raising The Bar)
- Ben Wong & Elaine Yiu (Raising The Bar)
- Kevin Cheng & Tavia Yeung (Eye In The Sky)*
- Johnson Lee & Elena Kong (Smooth Talker)
- Alex Fong & Linda Chung (Limelight Years)*
- Moses Chan & Kristal Tin (Ghost Of Relativity)*
- Louis Cheung & Tavia Yeung (Momentarily Lapse Of Reason)*
- Ruco Chan & Grace Chan (Captain Of Destiny)
- Bobby Au-Yeung & Joey Meng (With Or Without You)
Opinion: I didn’t watch ‘Madam Cutie On Duty’ but I heard many people said that the chemistry between Edwin and Priscilla is very good in that one. Well, they are now real-life couple. That may push their chances up. But I’m actually rooting for ‘Alex Fong & Linda Chung’ or ‘Kevin Cheng & Tavia Yeung’.
Expected to win: Edwin Siu & Priscilla Wong (Madam Cutie On Duty)
My personal choice: Kevin Cheng & Tavia Yeung (Eye In The Sky) / Alex Fong & Linda Chung (Limelight Years)
My Favourite TVB Most Improved Actress
- Grace Chan*
- Sisley Choi*
- Tracy Chu*
- Jacqueline Wong
- Candice Chiu
- Ali Lee
Opinion: Who is Ali Lee? Only two girls in this category received the most attention because they are given heavy lead role while they are still newbies but they are being criticized for their performances; Grace and Sisley. But I do consider them to have improved, better than the others with name I don’t even know who they are. Sisley only has one major role which is in ‘Young Charioteers’ and that series is aired quite early. Grace has two series that may push her chance a bit higher than the others. If they erase each other out, then Tracy Chu do stand a chance as a dark horse.
Expected to win: Grace Chan / Sisley Choi.
My personal choice: Grace Chan.
My Favourite TVB Most Improved Actor
- Hugo Wong
- Owen Cheung
- Quinn Ho
- Matt Yeung*
- Cheung Wing-Hong*
Opinion: A poor category. I would say Matt Yeung since I do see him frequently in many recent TVB series eventhough they are only minor roles. But I do have to highlight on the comedic role by Cheung Wing-Hong in ‘Wudang Rules’.
Expected to win: Matt Yeung.
My personal choice: Matt Yeung / Cheung Wing-Hong.
My Favourite TVB Actress in a Supporting Role
- Natalie Tong (Lord Of Shanghai)*
- Vivien Yeo (Ghost Of Relativity)*
- Eliza Sam (Brick Slaves)
- Tracy Chu (The Fixer)
- Rosina Lam (Momentarily Lapse Of Reason)*
- Maggie Shiu (Captain Of Destiny)
- Jacqueline Wong (With Or Without You)
- Rebecca Zhu (Officer Geomancer)
- Mandy Wong (Madam Cutie On Duty)*
- Elaine Yiu (Raising The Bar)*
- Samantha Ko (Eye In The Sky)
- Katy Kung (Romantic Repertoire)
- Elena Kong (Smooth Talker)
Opinion: Should put Vivien Yeo in most improved category so she may stand a better chance. She do improved since she had been in TVB for many years already. Well, she is Malaysian and of course I’m supporting her but she will still have no chance to win. Maybe just top 5. Didn’t watch ‘Momentarily Lapse Of Reason’ but I heard many are praising Rosina Lam. Well, she is great too. But I prefer her to be in most improved category too. The organiser totally ignored the veterans in this category. Michelle Yim is good in ‘Young Charioteers’ and Louise Lee is also not bad in ‘Romantic Repertoire’.
Expected to win: Rosina Lam (Momentarily Lapse Of Reason)
My personal choice: Rosina Lam (Momentarily Lapse Of Reason)
My Favourite TVB Actor in a Supporting Role
- Alex Fong (Limelight Years)*
- Pierre Ngo (Ghost Of Relativity)*
- Banjamin Yuen (The Fixer)
- Evergreen Mak (Every Step You Take)*
- Matt Yeung (Momentarily Lapse Of Reason)
- Vincent Wong (With Or Without You)
- Oscar Leung (Officer Geomancer)*
- Raymond Cho (Madam Cutie On Duty)
- Louis Cheung (Raising The Bar)*
- Cheng Tse-Tsing (Raising The Bar)
- Ram Chiang (Raising The Bar)
- Tony Hung (Eye In The Sky)
Opinion: I’m not happy with this category. Where is Joel Chan in ‘Captain Of Destiny’? Where is Derek Kok in ‘Wudang Rules’? Where is Edwin Siu in ‘Master Of Destiny’? These three are simply better than all of the above.
Expected to win: Evergreen Mak (Every Step You Take) – actually prefer him to win from ‘Brick Slaves’.
My personal choice: None of the nominees.
My Favourite TVB Actress in a Leading Role
- Priscilla Wong (Madam Cutie On Duty)
- Grace Chan (Raising The Bar)
- Nancy Sit (My Spiritual Ex-Lover)
- Kate Tsui (Smooth Talker)*
- Liza Wang (Limelight Years)
- Linda Chung (Limelight Years)*
- Kristal Tin (Ghost Of Relativity)*
- Nancy Wu (Ghost Of Relativity)
- Selena Li (Brick Slaves)*
- Myolie Wu (Every Step You Take)
- Tavia Yeung (Momentarily Lapse Of Reason)*
- Joey Meng (With Or Without You)
Opinion: Well, since this awards is all about popularity and hence the veterans stand no chance eventhough out of these five, I think Liza Wang delivered the most moving performance in this year. My second choice would be Kristal Tin since she is solid in ‘Ghost Of Relativity’. She handled the ‘seriousness’ and the ‘comedic’ moments very well in that series. Also not to forget that Selena Li had shown to us in these two years that she can take on lead role very well too.
Expected to win: Kristal Tin (Ghost Of Relativity)
My personal choice: Liza Wang (Limelight Years) – but it’s impossible.
My Favourite TVB Actor in a Leading Role
- Johnson Lee (Officer Geomancer)
- Edwin Siu (Madam Cutie On Duty)
- Ben Wong (Raising The Bar)
- Him Law (Young Charioteers)
- Kevin Cheng (Eye In The Sky)*
- Damian Lau (Limelight Years)
- Moses Chan (Ghost Of Relativity)*
- Louis Cheung (Momentarily Lapse Of Reason)
- Ruco Chan (Captain Of Destiny)*
- Tony Hung (Captain Of Destiny)
- Bobby Au-Yeung (With Or Without You)
- Anthony Wong (Lord Of Shanghai)*
- Kent Tong (Lord Of Shanghai)
- Wayne Lai (Lord Of Shanghai)*
Opinion: It’s a good thing that more veterans are on this category. At least, they are being acknowledged in nomination. I personally prefer Ruco Chan since he is exceptionally fantastic in ‘Captain Of Destiny’. He also has a huge fanbase here. He deserved it more than all the other young actors in this category. Never ignore the two veterans in ‘Lord Of Shanghai’; the Film King, Anthony Wong and TV King, Wayne Lai. However, the series has not aired yet and would not end by the time ceremony comes, hence disadvantage to the series.
Expected to win: Ruco Chan (Captain Of Destiny)
My personal choice: Ruco Chan (Captain Of Destiny)
My Favourite TVB Drama Series
- Raising The Bar*
- Young Charioteers
- Eye In The Sky
- Limelight Years*
- Ghost Of Relativity*
- The Fixer
- Every Step You Take
- Momentarily Lapse Of Reason
- Captain Of Destiny*
- Under The Veil
- With Or Without You
- Lord Of Shanghai*
Opinion: I wonder why people love ‘Raising The Bar’ so much. I watched its first few episodes and I quit as I find it boring. It took up one of my spots in my personal top 5 pick in this category. If not, I would rather dedicate that spot to ‘Eye In The Sky’. ‘Young Charioteers’ is a dark horse too since it is targeting young people and as I said earlier, most voters are from younger demographics. Hence, it has some benefit. ‘Lord Of Shanghai’ will eventually get into top 5 too despite not finish airing yet by the time the ceremony comes since it is a grand production and we have to respect it a bit. It should be looking promising too from its heavyweight line up of casts. However, as of current, I prefer ‘Captain Of Destiny’ to take this top honour since the series is really very nice, and it’s so far, so good. Exciting and good performances (except Grace) and comes with great visual effects by TVB standard.
Expected to win: Captain Of Destiny.
My personal choice: Captain Of Destiny.
Well, there are 13 categories in total but I have only posted 12 categories above. Why? There is one more category which is called ‘My Favourite TVB Drama Characters’. Well, 60 characters are nominated in this category. That’s too long and I don’t have the energy to post it up here. As long as the main TVB artists acted in any of the nominated series of the year, then he or she will be automatically nominated in this category of which in the end, usually more than 10 characters winning.
How come the organizers are so biased by giving a lot of spots in the nomination list to ‘Raising The Bar’ while ignoring some series like ‘Noblesse Oblige’, ‘Wudang Rules’, ‘Master Of Destiny’, etc. I also just realized that Kenneth Ma whom is quite popular too is not being nominated at all this year. Well, his only series ‘Noblesse Oblige’ which is quite fun and entertaining to watch early this year is totally being forgotten. The nomination list this year is not that good. Many not worthy people got nominated while many others got snubbed for even a nomination. Let’s hope that the TVB Anniversary Awards 2015’s nomination list would be better. That one would be released next month.
Okay…should end this post since it is getting too long (already exceeds 2000 words).
(Images in this post are from various sources throughout the world wide web)