The 4 Kings of Badminton.
Badminton has been one of my favourite sports. I seldom play badminton but I love to watch badminton tournaments. There has been quite a lot of talks on this particular sport this month. The first is when Lee Chong Wei can get back to play in badminton tournaments beginning this month after he is banned for eight months from his doping case last year. Next was the prestigious Sudirman Cup 2015, a mixed team championship held this month too and won by the reigning champion and host nation, China as expected. And then, recently, YONEX organized a friendly exhibition match in China and invited the 4 great kings of badminton.
Who are the 4 kings of badminton? They must possess impressive records in the sport, well known, have held world number one ranked player and considered as icon of badminton respectively. They are Lin Dan of China, Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia, Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia and Peter Gade of Denmark. 4 men, 4 different countries, and they ruled the sport respectively (in men single event) from 2000s.
Lin Dan (China)
– Age 32 this year.
– Two-time Olympic champion (gold-medalist), five-time World champion, and five-time All England champion.
– By age of 28, he had won all nine major titles in badminton world; Olympic Games, World Championships, World Cup (no more now), Thomas Cup, Sudirman Cup, Super Series Masters Finals, All England Open, Asian Games and Asian Championships, becoming the first and only player in history to achieve that.
– 57 career titles to date.
– Currently in semi-retired position.
Lee Chong Wei (Malaysia)
– Age 33 this year.
– Ranked first worldwide in men-single badminton player for the longest, for 298 weeks. Have been ranked first worldwide for a consecutive 199 weeks.
– Two-time Olympic silver-medalist, currently the most successful Malaysian Olympian in history, and earned him the title of Dato’. Also two-time Commonwealth Games gold-medalist. Won Malaysian Open for a record 10 times.
– 55 career titles to date.
– Currently still actively playing in tournaments.
Taufik Hidayat (Indonesia)
– Age 34 this year.
– Olympic champion (gold medalist), also champion in World Championships, Asian Championships, Asian Games, South East Asian Games, and Thomas Cup.
– Won Indonesian Open for a record 6 times.
– Over 27 career titles to date.
– Currently retired.
Peter Gade (Denmark)
– Age 39 this year.
– 5-time winner of European Championships, All England champion, World GrandPrix champion.
– Over 40 career titles to date.
– Currently retired.
Out of the 4 great men in badminton, Lin Dan is no doubt the most successful in the history of badminton. Nicknamed ‘Super Dan’, he is simply unbeatable in most of the major tournaments he participated in. No one can challenge his record. Also let us not forget the mighty presence of Lee Chong Wei. Despite not winning all the major titles, but his very active participation in almost all the badminton championships available and winning many of them helped him become the longest number one player in history. Taufik Hidayat and Peter Gade are also awesome in this particular sport.
Right now, the number one player (in men single) is Chen Long from China. He is one strong badminton player to fear for right now.
(Images in this post are from various sources throughout the world wide web)