22nd Critics’ Choice Movie Awards kickstarted Hollywood award season for 2016 films
The Hollywood award season has began early this year with the first of the major 5 film awards honouring the best of Hollywood movies released in the year 2016 held last weekend. It’s the 22nd Critics’ Choice Awards. This awards presentation is usually held in January every year but is now moved to December slot for the first time now. In previous years, the first of the major 5 film awards was the Golden Globes. Now, it’s the Critics’ Choice.
Hereby below is the full result for the 22nd Critics’ Choice Movie Awards. I’m not posting up the television awards’ result as I didn’t watch any Hollywood TV programmes…just films.
- Best Picture – “La La Land”
- Best Actor – Casey Affleck, “Manchester by the Sea”
- Best Actress – Natalie Portman, “Jackie”
- Best Supporting Actor – Mahershala Ali, “Moonlight”
- Best Supporting Actress – Viola Davis, “Fences”
- Best Young Actor/Actress – Lucas Hedges, “Manchester by the Sea”
- Best Acting Ensemble – “Moonlight”
- Best Director – Damien Chazelle, “La La Land”
- Best Original Screenplay – Tie between Damien Chazelle, “La La Land” and Kenneth Lonergan, “Manchester by the Sea”
- Best Adapted Screenplay – Eric Heisserer, “Arrival”
- Best Cinematography – Linus Sandgren, “La La Land”
- Best Production Design – David Wasco, Sandy Reynolds-Wasco, “La La Land”
- Best Editing – Tom Cross, “La La Land”
- Best Costume Design – Madeline Fontaine, “Jackie”
- Best Hair & Makeup – “Jackie”
- Best Visual Effects – “The Jungle Book”
- Best Animated Feature – “Zootopia”
- Best Action Movie – “Hacksaw Ridge”
- Best Actor in an Action Movie – Andrew Garfield, “Hacksaw Ridge”
- Best Actress in an Action Movie – Margot Robbie, “Suicide Squad”
- Best Comedy – “Deadpool”
- Best Actor in a Comedy – Ryan Reynolds, “Deadpool”
- Best Actress in a Comedy – Meryl Streep, “Florence Foster Jenkins”
- Best Sci-Fi/Horror Movie – “Arrival”
- Best Foreign Language Film – “Elle”
- Best Song – “City of Stars” from “La La Land”
- Best Score – Justin Hurwitz, “La La Land”
Besides than ‘The Jungle Book’, ‘Deadpool’ and ‘Zootopia’, I have not watched any of the other winning films listed above. It shall be time for me to catch up with these Oscar-bait movies, especially that received super critical acclaims. I can accomplish that easily now since I’m currently in a long break and I have all the time to watch the movies that I’m looking forward to.
‘La La Land’ is the biggest winner with 8 wins including Best Picture. Now, this movie has shown to us that it is a strong contender in the coming other film awards and of course the Oscars on next February. It’s a musical film and I have watched its trailer. It looks good. Definitely will watch it. Other notable films winning are ‘Manchester by the Sea’, ‘Jackie’, ‘Arrival’, ‘Moonlight’ and ‘Hacksaw Ridge’.
The next major film awards is the Golden Globes to be held on early January as usual. Its nomination list has been released recently too.
(Images in this post are from various sources throughout the world wide web)